In the Pool
Ozone is becoming a very popular method of sanitation for many spa and pool owners. The high expense of harsh and heavy chemicals combined with the irritating effects of itchy, red eyes and skin makes ozone a natural solution to the problem of effective pool sanitation. Ozone can reduce your chemical reliance up to 90% To make up for the extra 10%, there are a variety of methods pool owners can turn to. Some prefer using salt in combination with ozone, others prefer bromine or chlorine (at very small levels, 1-2ppm) The main objective is clear- Reduce your reliance on chemicals and choose ozone for a pure, rejuvenating swimming experience!
A2Z Ozone manufactures swimming pool generators, venturi injectors, manifolds, check valves and silica air dryers to help get you started in transforming your current pool system into a happy, healthy swimming environment. But first, it is important to know what YOU need.
Let's get to the FaQ's!!
How is ozone released into the water?
(actual images of our venturi injectors)
- Ozone is a gas and is only slightly soluble in water. It must be thoroughly dissolved into water so that the chemical reactions with contaminants can take place. The most common way to release ozone in swimming pools is with a venturi injector, which is a device 100mm in length with each end the same diameter (40/50 mm)as the pool plumbing line. A section of pool piping is removed, and a venturi injector is installed. The injector diameter is smaller in the middle, similar to squeezing or pinching a hose. The water travelling into the injector begins to move faster. In the hole, a vacuum is created. The amount of vacuum is dependent on the amount of water flow through the injector: more water=more volume. If a small, flexible hose or tube is attached to this small hole, a liquid or gas can be drawn into the injector and mixed into the water. The goal is to make the smallest bubbles possible and to keep the bubbles in contact with the water for as long as possible. The ozone that does not get dissolved will kill or oxidize anything in the water.
How long will ozone last in my pool?
(actual images of pools using our SP-models)
- For purification of water and air, ozone generators are needed to produce on-site. Because of its short half-life, ozone will decay soon when produced. The half-life of ozone in water is about 30 minutes, which means that every half hour the ozone concentration will be reduced to half its initial concentration. For example, when you have 8g/l, the concentration reduces every 30 minutes as follows: 8;4;2;1, etc. In practice, the half-life is shorter because of various factors. Factors include temperature, PH, concentration and short solutes. Because ozone reacts with all kinds of components, the concentration of ozone will reduce quickly. When most of the components are oxidized, the residual ozone will remain, and the concentration of ozone will reduce.
Can I stop using bromine and other chemicals?
- You will definitely reduce your chemical usage in your pool up to 95% depending on weather conditions and pool characteristics. Ozone provides better water quality and oxidizes many contaminants that bromine cannot. However, Ozone only lasts in pool water for a short period of time (11-30) minutes therefore in order to provide lasting protection during times when ozone is not being injected, to control algae and ammonia, you must maintain a small residual of bromine (1.0-2.0 ppm) in the water. The longer the ozone system operates, the less bromine you will have to use to maintain water quality. Ozone will kill algae at the point of injection, not algae that are growing on the pool walls. Recommended dosage for sodium bromide is 20g per 1000 liters of water every 6 months.
Will the temperature or humidity of the air or water affect ozone?
- The temperature and humidity of the air will directly impact the concentration of ozone gas produced. The more humid the air, the less concentrated the ozone will be. Likewise, the temperature of the water has a similar effect; the cooler the water the ozone is injected into, the more effective the ozone will be at removing contaminants. Heated pools require 10-15% more ozone than traditional pools.
Is Ozone safe?
- Ozone generators, when used correctly, will not exceed OSHA- Occupational Safety and Health Agency, stipulates that the safe allowable level of residual ozone is .08 ppm. Note that this permissible level is for continuous exposure throughout an entire 8 hour day for 5 days per week. Ozone becomes very noticeably strong when operated at high levels for too long.
Is Ozone safe for my pool equipment?
- Most pool systems come supplied with plumbing that is ozone-resistant, example PVC piping. However, ozone gas can corrode metal and other materials such as nylon and rubber. Care must be taken to ensure that all plumbing and piping between the injection point and the point of entry to the pool are made of ozone-resistant materials. All our ozone generators are supplied with ozone-resistant accessories.
Our SP swimming pool models feature regulated ozone output in a compact, reliably built package featuring 3g, 5g, 8g and 16g/ozone output per hour. We designed these units at different levels of ozone concentration to match your pool size (see table below to find out which ozone generator would fit your pool size) The units feature an ozone concentration knob from 10-100% ozone concentration. The air flow meter will indicate whether or not the venturi has enough flow to create vacuum and inject ozone into the water pipeline. The air flow meter should be above 2 LPM (liters per minute) for the proper amount of suction.
|Pool Size||Ozone Output Required||Recommended Venturi Sizing|
|25,000G/95,000L||3000MG/H(3G/H)||1/4" or 1/2"|
|50,000G/190,000L||5000MG/H(5G/H)||1/2" or 3/4"|
|100,000G/380,000L||8000MG/H(8G/H)||1/2" or 3/4"|
These units are based on the principle of suction, and therefore require a venturi injector that is designed to seamless fit into your pipe size. We manufacture and sell our own venturi injectors from 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5" and 2" sizes. See all venturi injectors by clicking here.