Molds play an important role in nature, however they can be harmful to health when indoors. If you have mold in your home or vehicle, an ozone generator can be used to eliminate it.
What causes indoor mold?
According to the EPA, “Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.”
Mold will begin to grow if these spores land on wet surfaces. No type of mold will grow without moisture.
Common indoor molds, according to the CDC:
Where mold grows:
Common rooms in the home:
- Laundry rooms
- Crawl spaces
According to the EPA, “Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).”
Areas that have high mold exposures, according to the CDC:
- Antique shops
- Construction areas
- Flower shops
- Summer cottages
Health & Mold
According to the EPA, “Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins)."
Other health reactions could be:
- Allergic reactions – could include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and/or skin rash.
- Asthma attacks
Moisture is Key
According to the EPA, “When water leaks or spills occur indoors - ACT QUICKLY. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.”