Ozone is not new to the fish industry, scientists have been attempting to use ozone to prolong the shelf life of fish products since the 1920s. Ozone is successful at preventing spoilage in these products because it works as a disinfectant.
A study from a pair of scientists at the World Academy of Science examined the impact that ozonated water would have on freshly caught trout from fish farms. The team left the trout submerged in ozonated water for two hours to determine its impact on the product’s shelf life. The use of ozonated water greatly reduced the presence of bacteria on the fish studied.
The study concluded that “ozone treatment increases the shelf life of trout from 4 days to 6 days as compared to the control fish.” One key finding in the study is that ozone did not have an impact on the biochemical properties of the fish. This is an important discovery because the biochemical properties are key to the quality of the product including humidity, protein and free fat.
In fact, the ozone treatment positively impacted protein levels in the fish, “Ozone removes the contaminants which can destroy the protein resulting in detecting better level of protein compared to control.” Scientists found that the ozone treatment also left no residue on the fish, meaning the quality of the taste would remain intact.
The study concluded the following:
- Ozone treatment of fish slows down its bacterial growth significantly, resulting in lower counts of bacteria
- Ozone removes the contaminants from the fish skin causes to higher protein number
- Ozone treatment increases the shelf life of fish and helps in longer preservation time
- Ozone has no negative impact on the biochemical properties of fish such as humidity, protein and free fat
- Ozone leaves no residue on the fish and creates no changes on its color and flavor
We recommend the Aqua-6 for the washing of fish, meats and poultry.
Interested in an upgraded portable unit? Check out the Aqua-8.
To view more A2Z Ozone products, click here.
- Extension of Fish Shelf Life by Ozone Treatment: http://waset.org/publications/12403/extension-of-fish-shelf-life-by-ozone-treatment
In case of accidental leakage of ozone, keep the ozone generator in a
well- ventilated area.
Ozone generators emit ozone. Do not inhale ozone.
Ozone generators generate high voltage.
Our ozone generators are designed and distributed by A2Z Ozone, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky USA. EPA Est.: 95432-KY-1. Produced and made in China.