Whether you’re a smoker or have a loved one that is, the lingering smell of cigarettes can be an annoyance. Ozone is one of the most powerful oxidizers on the planet and can eradicate strong odors permanently. Ozone is different from other odor solutions because ozone attacks the odor at the source, oxidizing it.
What is Smoke Made Of?
Cigarette smoke is composted of thousands of chemicals. In fact, experts estimate 7,000 different compounds can be found.
According to the CDC, in 2011-2012 alone, 58 million non-smokers were exposed to secondhand smoke in the United States.
Secondhand smoke includes some of the most harmful chemicals smokers inhale when consuming a cigarette. Prolonged secondhand smoke exposure could lead to heart disease, lung cancer, or stroke, even for those who don’t smoke.
Do Ozone Generators Eliminate Smoke Odor?
Ozone generators are very effective at eliminating smoke odor. They are so effective that many professional services utilize them on a daily basis.
The most popular unit for cigarette smoke odor removal is the A7K Air Ozone Generator. A remote control is also included to easily stop and start your device. In addition, the A7K has a more powerful blower than the other units in the Air Series. This unit is designed to powerfully shock treat rooms or other areas that are suffering from mold, mildew, or strong odors. The A7K can shock treat most small rooms in 30 minutes to an hour and large rooms in 3 to 4 hours.
How to Use Ozone Generator
Before using an air ozone generator, there are a few precautions to keep in mind. Because ozone is very powerful, it is important to remain out of the room while the unit is running. We recommend the A7K Air Ozone Generator to treat cigarette smoke odors.
The A7K is equipped with a remote control, which allows the unit to be safely turned on and off from outside the room. Additionally, there are multiple timers repeat settings to fit different applications.
- First, treat the individual room that has the worst odor or smoke damage
- Before turning the unit on, remove all valuables, plants, and/or pets from the room so they do not come into direct contact with ozone
- Second, determine the severity of the smell, which will dictate the amount of time needed for cleaning
- For example, heavy smoke smells will require longer treatment times (4 hours or more), while pet smells could be solved in a shorter amount of time (4 hours or less)
- Next, place the unit into the severely impacted room and turn the unit on full power while selecting the appropriate time setting on the unit
- Be sure to leave the room immediately after the unit begins producing ozone
- Use the A/C system to freshen the entire home if the odor is still present
- This will push ozone through the vents with the A/C fan
- Determine where the air return vent is on the heating and cooling system
- Remove the filter and turn the AC fan ON
- Place the unit in front of or near the return vent and be sure the heating and cooling system’s fan is to the always on position
- Turn the unit on for a 4-hour cycle and immediately exit the building
- It will be safe to return to the building at a minimum of 4.5 hours later, but we recommend returning 5 hours later or longer
After the process is complete, ozone reverts back to oxygen meaning no residual chemicals are left behind. This is a preferred method to bleach or other chemical alternatives because it leaves the treated area smelling fresh.
For odors, we recommend the A7K Air Ozone Generator.