How to Install Swimming Pool Ozone Generator October 19 2017, 0 Comments
Ozone works faster than chlorine for pool sanitation because chlorine needs to diffuse through the cell wall to disrupt bacteria's metabolism. Ozone rips open the cell wall from the outside, causing the cell contents to fall apart. This process is called cell lysing and is much more effective. With ozone, after the destruction of the cell, O3 (ozone) simply reverts back to O2 (oxygen). The additional oxygen in the water creates a safe, clean and refreshing swimming experience.
Please refer to the chart below for the approximate ozone concentration for your pool:
|Pool Size in Liters, Gallons||Ozone Output Generator Required|
|25,000 L, 6,600 G||3,000 mg/h, SP-3|
|50,000 L, 13,000 G||5,000 mg/h, SP-5|
|100,000 L, 26,000 G||8,000 mg/h, SP-8|
|200,000 L, 52,000 G||16,000 mg/h, SP-16|
Before installing an SP unit, follow these steps to prepare the pool:
- First, be sure to backwash the pool
- Adjust total alkalinity with Hydrochloric acid or Sodium Bicarbonate 80-100ppm
- Adjust pH 7.2 to 7.8 (HCL acid to lower and Sodium Bicarbonate to increase)
- Shock treat with Hydrogen Peroxide 35% (100mL/1000 Liters pool water)
- Keep in mind, ozone is used as the primary sanitizer and Sodium Bromide is used as the secondary or residual sanitizer.
- Sodium Bromide should test between 1-2 ppm (Dosage: 20g per 1000 Liters of water every 6 months)
Be sure to install the SP Series ozone generator in a clean, dry area with good ventilation. The ozone generator should be placed above any water level because if pressure was lost in the venturi vacuum, gravity will cause water to travel down the ozone output tube and to enter the ozone generator.
Note: Be sure to place ozone generator in room temperatures 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit (4.5 to 38 degrees Celsius)
Select a location for the ozone generator that is as close as possible to the ozone injection point. Situate the unit in a manner suitable for convenient electrical access. The SP Series enclosure is not rain proof, so it is important to choose a location that will keep the system away from direct weather and excessive heat. The mounting holes are located on the back of the ozone generator for convenient wall mounting, however mounting hardware is not provided.
The basic installation method for the SP Series system is injector manifold plumbing connections. The injector manifold must be assembled and is sold separately, which can be found in the Accessories section. A2Z's SP Series is designed to plumb into your swimming pool pipeline via venturi injector method. A2Z manufactures our own venturi injectors in ¼”, ½”, ¾” 1 inch, 1.5 inch and 2 inch sizes.
Refer to the venturi injector installation diagram and follow the instructions below if the ozone is being injected directly into the full flow of the pool’s return line:
- Identify the pool water supply line after the pump, filter and heater and tap into this point. The ozone injection point should be the last component in line and as far as possible from the injection point of the residual chemical.
- Glue in the proper injector manifold, noting the direction of flow (indicated by an arrow on the injector).
- Once the injector is installed, the vacuum may be adjusted.
Schematic diagram of injector manifold point of installation with “Hartford loop”
Venturi Injector Manifold
- To begin, install the venturi injector with bypass valve on to the water recirculation pipeline. The arrow on the venturi must be set in the same direction as water flow.
- Next, turn the water pump on and close the bypass valve until a vacuum is created at the venturi input.
Note: Use the installed flow-meter to check vacuum -2 to -3 PSI (-0.14 to -0.21 bars) or place finger over the end of the venturi valve to feel vacuum while adjusting the bypass venturi valve. At this point, the air is injected into the water line; you will observe the air as bubbles in the water of the swimming pool.
Use the power cable provided to connect the SP Series to a properly rated and grounded receptacle. If the ozone generator will be used where water is present, a ground fault circuit interrupter must protect the circuit.
Tube Connection & Start Up
- Connect the silicone tube (if you use oxygen generator or oxygen tank or external air compressor) to ozone generator (air IN) and direct it away from hot and humid air to the ozone cell.
- This will serve as oxygen, or fresh air for ozone production.
- Connect ozone generator PTFE tube (ozone OUT) to venturi injector manifold.
- Install a check valve 10 inches after ozone out tube fitting (even the venturi has internal check valve).
- You may do this by cutting tube ten inches after the ozone out fitting.
- Connect both ends of cut tubes to the check valve.
- Please direct the arrow on the check valve toward venturi.
- To begin, start the swimming pool water re-circulation pump.
- Make sure you have the vacuum at the venturi via a gauge and test it by putting your finger on the venturi opening. You should feel a small suction, this is what is needed to get the ozone production out of the unit and inject it into the pool piping system.
- Check the flow meter, air flow should indicate at least 2 LPM.
- Now connect the PTFE tube from the venturi to the ozonator and turn on the power in the internal panel of ozone generator. The ozone indicator light and fan should turn on.
- Increase power to the cells by turning the ozone control knob clockwise.
A pool in Indiana using the SP-3.
To view the SP Series manual in its entirety, click here.
For more information on A2Z Ozone's Spa and Pool products, click here.
How to Remove Second Hand Smoke Odors with Aqua-8
Smokers need ozone! Second hand smoke penetrates all kinds of surfaces and settles on them. You don’t have to smoke t...
How to Disinfect Toothbrush and Dentures with Aqua-8
A simple way to promote gum health and prevent the spread of harmful bacteria and microorganisms is to soak your toot...
How to Connect an Oxygen Tank to Aqua-8
The newly designed Aqua-8 has many upgraded features. The unit has an ozone output of 800 mg/hr and can stand on its ...