Real estate agents know that when selling a home, it must look good and smell good. There are many smells that could turn buyers off from a property. Unpleasant smells could be lingering due to food, appliances, clothes, pets, smoke and mold. Dirty air vents could also contribute to an unpleasant stench that wafts around the entire home.
While many of these smells are unpleasant for visitors, they could also signal larger issues. For example, the smell of mold will raise a red flag for buyers. Eradicating these smells before potential buyers arrive is an important part of the staging process.
According to Realtor Mag, “A 2013 study of Canadian home owners sponsored by Pfizer Canada found that smoking in a home could reduce the resale value by up to 29 percent.”
If a home has been placed on the market, real estate agents will likely tell their home owner to stop smoking inside. However, this doesn’t remove the smell that has built up over the years.
Ozone is an effective solution for odor removal because it destroys the source of the odor instead of simply masking it. Ozone breaks down the source of the odor at a molecular level. Stager Tori Toth, owner of Stylish Stagers Inc., told Realtor Mag, “If you temporarily treat the air with sprays or plug-ins, the odor will resurface by your next showing.”
A2Z Ozone’s A7K was designed with smoke remediation in mind and can use its oxidizing powers to eradicate smoke damage. The A7K produces 7000 mg/hr or 3500 mg/hr, depending on the severity of the smell. The single or dual plate activation system allows choice to meet any odor.
Follow these easy steps to prepare homes for potential buyers:
- First, treat the individual room that has the worst odor or smoke damage
- Before turning the unit on, remove all valuables, plants, and/or pets from the room so they do not come into direct contact with ozone
- Second, determine the severity of the smell, which will dictate the amount of time needed for cleaning
- For example, heavy smoke smells will require longer treatment times (4 hours or more), while pet smells could be solved in a shorter amount of time (4 hours or less)
- Next, place the unit into the severely impacted room and turn the unit on full power while selecting the appropriate time setting on the unit
- Be sure to leave the room immediately after the unit begins producing ozone
- Use the A/C system to freshen the entire home if the odor is still present
- This will push ozone through the vents with the A/C fan
- Determine where the air return vent is on the heating and cooling system
- Remove the filter and turn the AC fan ON
- Place the unit in front of or near the return vent and be sure the heating and cooling system’s fan is to the always on position
- Turn the unit on for a 4-hour cycle and immediately exit the building
- It will be safe to return to the building at a minimum of 4.5 hours later, but we recommend returning 5 hours later or longer
After the process is complete, ozone reverts back to oxygen meaning no residual chemicals are left behind. This is a preferred method to bleach or other chemical alternatives because it leaves the treated area smelling fresh.
Basements are notorious for a musty smell that will likely turn off potential buyers. If you treat the area with the A7K, the musty odors will be removed. Whether the basement is finished or unfinished, there is still a risk it will have the basement smell.
Using an ozone generator to shock treat the home when it is unoccupied will remove odors that could hold back the sale of the property. Ozone can remove odors, but it can’t prevent the source from causing the smells again.
There are precautions home owners can take to avoid creating smells in the home again. Toth recommends:
- Take out the trash after every meal
- Clean refrigerators often
- Change air filters regularly
- Do laundry regularly to avoid dirty clothing pileups
- Use the fan over the stove when cooking
- Avoid cooking strong-smelling foods like fish, broccoli, and garlic before showings
- Bathe pets regularly and clean bedding, toys, and litter boxes often
After a four-hour shock treatment and 30 minutes to one hour to allow for the ozone to dissipate, your home will be smelling fresh. This is a cost-effective solution that can be used repeatedly to remove unwanted odors in homes.
To learn more about the A7K, click here.
Please Note: Be sure to only use your ozone generator in an unoccupied area. Our units produce high amounts of ozone. It is not safe to run the unit in an occupied area for more than 1 minutes. Be sure to remove any valuable items, pets and/or plants before you use the ozone generator. Do not breathe in ozone directly.
When operating an ozone generator, please remember to remove people, pets, and plants from the area. Be sure to leave the area being treated immediately and only return once the ozone has dissipated. Under most conditions, the treated area should be safe to return to 30 minutes to 1 hour after the unit stops producing ozone. Treated spaces or buildings should be well-ventilated prior to re-entry.
In case of accidental leakage of ozone, keep the ozone generator in a
well- ventilated area.
Ozone generators emit ozone. Do not inhale ozone.
Ozone generators generate high voltage.
Our ozone generators are designed and distributed by A2Z Ozone, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky USA. EPA Est.: 95432-KY-1. Produced and made in China.